Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Another year of marriage...

Eric and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary last night. I wish I could say that we celebrated in style, but unfortunately that was not the case. This is not to say that it wasn't a fantastic anniversary, just not the romantic getaway my husband surprised me with last year (the trip to Gatlinburg...). But we don't really have the money for that right now anyway, and we went to Florida for the weekend instead.

I had flown back from Florida on Sunday (quite late at night I might add), but Eric didn't leave until Monday morning. So, as soon as I got off from work, I drove to Dayton to pick him up from the airport. We then went to pick Sadie up from the kennel, and she was SOOOO excited to see us. She was more hyper than I've seen her in a while. But almost as soon as we got back to the apartment we had to turn around a go to a creative team meeting for church. It did kind of suck to have a meeting on our anniversary, but I have to say that if I had to go to a meeting this would be the one. The people we volunteer with at Lifepoint are fantastic. And the meetings genuinely are fun to go to.

But, my parents sent us gift certificates to Red Lobster, so one evening this week we will most certainly be celebrating. Well, either that or we will use them later this month when I have a three day weekend and we actually celebrate our anniversary. Who knows.

It's kind of strange to think that we've been married for 2 years. Sometimes it feels like there's no way it's been that long, and other times it feels like it's been longer than that. Eric really makes it easy to be married. Everyone always says your first year of marriage is the hardest, but really I don't feel like this has been hard at all. Yes, there are times when I want to strangle him (and I KNOW there are times when he would like to do the same), but it's never really been "hard." I think we had a lot of things working in our favor long before we ever got married. We both came from strong, Godly families, and our parents had strong marriages we learned from. We always talk about how thankful we are for our respective in-laws and the people they taught us to be. And, we were friends first, which sounds cliche, but I really think it helped. We had excellent pre-marital counseling, and we made it a point to talk about all the hard issues before we said "I do."

All of that is to say, I really love being married to Eric. And I'm excited for another year. Thank you so much to all of you guys for your prayers and encouragement. I know it has helped us immeasurably, and it really means a lot to us.

Florida was awesome. It's really encouraging to spend quality time with other individuals and couples who are doing the same kind of ministry. I cannot put a value on what we learned and shared this weekend. We met this couple from Munich, Germany, that we'd really like to get out to see sometime. The wife, Bethany, is from Arnold, MO, which is only an hour or so from where I grew up. So we talked about Cardinals baseball :). The husband is from Northern Ireland, and he could really not be any more of the stereotypical Irishman. Speaks his mind, very outpoken, THICK Irish accent, and absolutely hysterical. He gives 100% to everything it does. Another of the couples actually had a baby this Sunday, so it was awesome to get to hang out with them right before their baby was born.

And, speaking of babies, I want to wish a very special happy 1st birthday to Finley Roberson, who we had the honor to hold the day she was born. If you'd like to see pictures of her from day one until now, you can check out her blog We do miss her and her parents soooo much!!!!

Ok, that's all I got for now. Night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww.... thanks friend! We miss you all so much too!!!!! :)

Hooray for 2 years! (Sorry this comment is a few days late!)

Jon A. Alfred E. Michael J. Wile E. SWNID said...

Congrats on your anniversary! We pray for many more.