Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Job Training

First of all, I just want to say that maybe after things are quite so hectic with the campus ministry I will be able to convince my husband to write something on here....maybe (I make no promises...even after a snide comment he still hasn't...).

I had training today for my position at Colerain. This is definitely not going to be an easy job. I will have kids in my class every period (with the exception of my lunch period and my planning...which are technically one period, just split into two halves). I'll be working with another guy, who thankfully did this last year, so he knows the ropes and all that stuff. For the most part we'll be teaching reading and math, but the interesting thing about it is that the school stuggled the most on Ohio testing in the areas of social studies and science (which I'm not really surprised, I think that's actually pretty common). So, what that means is that for some of these kids, in tutoring them to read, I will also have to work in social studies and science stuff to help them pass their OGT (Ohio Graduation Test) and OAT (Ohio Achievement Test--this is the one that affects the school's national standing--think No Child Left Behind). I'm pretty excited about that (the social studies part).

So, I'm feeling a lot better about this job. I'd still like to have a real teaching job, but this I think is as close to a real teaching job as you can get without actually having one.

No comments: