Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Year of Living Biblically

I was surfing the internet this morning when I woke up, and I stumbled across this article from Newsweek.

I have to admit that when I read the title, I instantly assumed that this was some writers crazy idea that would never work. In fact, I wondered whether he would just kind of choose the 10 Commandments and call that following every rule in the Bible. However, I was presently surprised when I read it. So much so that it makes me want to find his book.

I loved what he said at the beginning of the article: "I miss my sin-free life, but I guess I was never sin free." He talked about choices and how we think we want choices; in reality, there's a lot of freedom in not having to choose. Ultimately, there's still the choice (do I lie/do I not lie), but having the rule at least makes it clear what we should do. I hate that we live in a world where rules are seen as burdensome. Obviously, there are moments when every individual wants to break the rules because to do so would me some form of happiness or gratification. But, in the end we usually realize that although that momentary pleasure was great, it really wasn't worth the trouble and hardship caused from breaking rules.

I look back on my childhood, remember how cumbersome rules were to me at that point, and I really am thankful I chose not to break most of them. The rules are meant to save us from heartache, trouble, and pain. Just look at the world around us. But this guy seems to have realized the truth in that, or at least part of it.

As a small side note, here are some of my other favorite quotes:

"And I love the Sabbath. There’s something I really like about a forced day of rest."

"Also, during the experiment I wore a lot of white clothes, because Ecclesiastes says let your garments always be white, and I loved it, so I look like Tom Wolfe now. Wearing white just made me happier. I couldn’t be in a bad mood walking down the street looking like I was about to play in the semifinals at Wimbledon. One thing I learned is that the outside affects the inside, your behavior shapes your thoughts."

1 comment:

Nate said...

That's really interesting; I'm going to read that book.

There's no way I'm going a year without shaving, though. Though the wearing white thing intrigues me. I like where he says that what you do on the outside is reflected on the inside.

Someone once said that self-awareness is learning to keep yourself company. It seems this guy has learned that. Fascinating, fascinating.